Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy Columbus Day!

So I am a day late. What can I say? I'm also a dollar short, so there you go...at least I complete all my idioms.

Yesterday we took a moment to celebrate a huge mistake. In fact, it may be the most celebrated mistake of all times.

We all make mistakes, but not often do we get any good feedback from them let alone a frick'n holiday or recognized day for them. Let's break this down.

Chris Columbus sails out to get to India. He sails and sails and sails and sails until...BOOM...he lands someplace. Mistake #1. Then, he says, "Hey, look at these Indians" and it sticks for all time. Mistake #2. Then, as if landing in the wrong place, assuming you are in the right place, and calling the folks there whatever you like...they decide to do some raping and some pillaging. Sure, why the heck not. Throw in a little disease and slavery and you Mistakes #3, #4, and #5...probably a handful of other mistakes that I am leaving out or forgetting about, but here is the point: C.C. is celebrated for making not one but something like TEN huge mistakes.

So I sometimes wonder, "Does it really matter if I type a 5 instead of a 9? If I turn left instead of right, so what? If I make the mistake of not remembering something, what's the big deal? Shouldn't these SMALL mistakes be overlooked or even celebrated?"

Apparently not. I am still punished in some way or the other.

I hate Christopher Columbus.

No comments: