Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I live in a post-apocalyptic world and I am a post-apocalyptic girl.



It has taken me too long to get to this subject. Fallout 3. I purchased this game for the 360 the day it came out (actually I traded in some games and didn't pay anything for it thanks to the awesome clerk at the store) and then took that day off as a video game day. The last time I did this was the day that Crackdown came out, probably over a year ago. That day was awesome and filled with video games, pizza, and root beer in glass bottles. The thing about video game days is that it makes me feel like I am in middle school all over again, but just the awesome parts of middle school. Not the parts where I was picked on because of my home made Zoobas. The parts that I got to spend the night over at my best friend, Kyle's house, just playing Ducktales on NES or Twisted Metal on Playstation later on in our times together. Just taking the time to do nothing but rot my brain for an entire day with video games is just silly. And I love that. Sure I did some other stuff during this day, and, yes, I saw the sunlight a bunch that day, but for the most part I just dedicated my time to playing Fallout 3. This particular video game day's enjoyment was increased because I got to spend it with a good friend of mine. He was genius enough to pick up some gummy worms, DOTS, and chips along with the root beer in glass bottles that I had requested of him. High fives and thank yous to this gentleman. He rules. (Now, if I could just see him more often. *hint, hint* friend.)

So yeah, Fallout 3. Sadly, I have not gotten to play any of the previous Fallout games. However, I do remember seeing them and watching them and enjoying that quite a bit. (more enjoyable than watching Wolfenstein 3D as it didn't make me feel drunk) I do regret not ever playing these other Fallout games, but the only time I was allowed to play video games was at other peoples homes, so I never really had a chance to play anything for myself. Yes, I am making up for lost time with games now...still. In fact, the first thing I did when I moved out to go to college was to go and purchase a Playstaion. For the longest time I never had anything but the demo disc that came with it...but it was more than enough. I loved the freedom of being able to just play whatever whenever I wanted. Oddly enough, this is just what Fallout 3 AND video game day is all about. I get to do whatever I want in the game and on the day whenever I want. The choices you can make in this game are just endless. Of course, each choice you make will take away or present you with a new set of choices. There is no way of knowing what these choices will do, so don't bother. I don't even think that playing through the game more than once will help you determine the results of these choices as there are just thousands of options. Heck, some of the choices you make may not even be up to you. Things just happen in this game. One of my friends is playing through this game at about the same pace as me and there are more moments that we DON'T share than ones we HAVE shared in the game. It is incredible to think that we are playing the same game and both following the path of good, but not really seeing anything the same. Yes, that is something else. I am playing the game as a good guy, a person that will fight for the rights of zombies, robots, and humans alike. I haven't even experienced the game as a destructive force at ALL yet. Plus there is a way to just play down the middle on everything AND there is an ending to the game for ALL these scenarios. GAAAHH!!! Considering how large this game is right now, I should be playing this thing for the next 2 years of my life.

You may be asking, "How can I spend so much time with a game?". Easily it turns out. I find that when I sit down to play this game, I am getting really into it. The last time I felt this way about a game it was Bioshock. That was a beautiful game that had a great story and made it really easy to place yourself in the situations. However, Fallout 3 is just more realistic somehow. I mean, here I am wandering around a post-apocalyptic Washington DC and it just feels like something that really could happen. It feels gritty, dead, and very much like a wasteland. I mean, there are times when you see NOTHING for miles except burned out buildings and ruined statues. This makes the times you DO see something out there that much more intense. As you are walking around, suddenly you see a glowing light out across the night covered plains. You zoom in with your sniper scope (if you are lucky enough to have found one) and see it is a robot just wandering around. The next thing you see is probably some horribly deformed mutant with three long tongues flapping about and the only thing you can think is, "Oh crap. I have to get closer to see what exactly is happening there". Either that or you try and figure out a way to get around this confrontation without being seen. Really, the choice is yours.

The game is good at making you think like someone trapped in these circumstances. I have gotten in the mindset so much that, for some reason, I have been carrying around a metal pot and a metal pan because I feel like if I really WAS trying to survive in this sort of wasteland, that I would have these things with me at all times for cooking and such. What can I say? Being a boyscout rubs off even in my video game playing.

Like I said before, I didn't get the chance to experience any of the previous Fallout 3 games, so I can't say if this holds true to them. What I DO know is that I am just really enjoying the world that they have created here. Sure there are little things that will get to you, just like any game, but overall I can't help but spend a little time everyday thinking about this game. Even if I don't get to play (which I haven't really done lately) I am still thinking about what could happen or where I will adventure to next or what mission I should continue on or what sorts of monstrosities I will find next.

The possibilities are endless, and I can do whatever I want whenever I want...because I am a post-apocalyptic girl...

1 comment:

Kyle Mulford said...

Twisted Metal rules!

And remember the Doom days? Two televisions, two playstations....and one night of demon slaying goodness!

(with a nice refreshing Pottle of Spurge)